Service Coordination and Me

If you are a participant at SCS, this section will help you understand your rights and your responsibilities. A booklet in paper format with this information is also given to our participants at intake for our services.

We invite everyone to read this section to learn how to stay safe. You will also learn about different types of abuse, and how to get help.

Click here to access a PDF version of our booklet


Service Coordination helps individuals of all ages with developmental disabilities and their families connect with community resources that meet their individual needs.

Advocacy, Choice, Diversity, Empowerment, Equity, Language, Partnership, Recognition, Trust

In Ontario, there are laws and rules that have been created to protect you. Service Coordination follows the requirements for the following laws;


As a person with a developmental disability applying for or receiving services through Service Coordination you have rights like every other person.

Your rights are specified in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and The Ontario Human Rights Code. You also have specific rights under the 2006 United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Developmental Disabilities and the Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act, 2008, as reflected below.

  • You have the right to be treated equally and free of harassment and discrimination.
  • You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
  • You have the right to receive services in either official language.
  • You have the right to accessible services that meet your individual needs.
  • You have the right to privacy and confidentiality; you can choose who you would like to share your personal information with.
  • You have the right to be included in making decisions that affect your life.
  • You have the right to equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, colour, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, family or marital status, receipt of public assistance, record of offenses or mental or physical disability.


At Service Coordination, you and your family can count on being treated with dignity and respect. That means you will be valued and made to feel comfortable in making decisions for yourself. We know that your choices and your needs are unique to you and that your plan is personal. It’s our goal to work with you, your family and others to develop a plan that works for you. Together, we will look at options and decide on actions that will help you access available developmental services and community supports.

When you receive services at Service Coordination, you can expect:

  • To be received in a setting that is accessible, safe and friendly.
  • To receive the latest information about developmental services and community supports available to you.
  • To be supported in understanding the information you receive.
  • To have your appointments start and end on time.
  • To review your records, if you request it, and know how the information in your file is being used.
  • To participate, as much as you like, in your planning.
  • To have your plan include options which promote:
    • your individual choices,
    • your rights,
    • opportunities to be independent,
    • and opportunities for social inclusion (to be involved and included in your community).

Service Coordination Response Times

To reach Service Coordination, call 613-748-1788 or email us at

Calls to Service Coordination are answered by an automated voice messaging system. You may enter the extension of the person you are trying to reach, or press 0 to speak to someone at reception. The receptionist can connect you with the person you want to speak to. Our hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 8:30AM to 4:30PM.

For non urgent matters, you may leave a message or send an email. Depending on the volume of calls/emails, your worker will respond to you within three working days. If you require immediate assistance, press 0, and the person at reception will connect you with a worker on call.


We respect your privacy and we will obtain your consent, or your guardian’s, before sharing your information.

As an individual or family member receiving services from Service Coordination, we ask you to:

  • Treat all people at Service Coordination with respect and dignity.
  • Respect Service Coordination property.
  • Arrive on time for appointments.
  • Call if you will be late or if you need to reschedule.
  • Try to offer a safe and friendly environment for Service Coordination staff when they come to your home for a visit.
  • Provide us with your feedback, if you have any comments or concerns about our service we encourage you to refer to our Feedback page.


We welcome your feedback and encourage you to share any comments or concerns about our services. You can do this by:

  • Talking to a staff member or contacting the Supervisor or Director of the department by calling our main line 613-748-1788 (press 0 for assistance)
  • Emailing your comments to
  • Mailing your comments to:
    Service Coordination for People with Developmental Disabilities
    150 Montreal Rd, Suite 200
    Ottawa, ON K1L 8H2
  • Dropping off your comments in writing at the reception desk located at the above named address.
  • Completing our online survey at

When you contact us, you can expect that your feedback will be acknowledged within five business days of receipt. In the event that we require additional time, we will let you know when you can expect a response from us.

You can also ask for a copy of our Feedback policy.


What is abuse?
Any actions or behaviours that cause or are likely to cause physical injury, emotional harm, or results in or are likely to result in, significant loss or destruction of your personal property. This includes neglect, which is when the help and supports you need are not provided to you to keep you safe.

You can stay safe by learning about what abuse is and how to report it. If you think something isn’t right, tell someone you trust. Talk to them and tell them how you feel. If you are being abused, your worker has a duty to report it to the proper authorities.

How Does Abuse Happen?
Abuse happens when a stranger or someone you know does something to hurt you. This can also happen with a person who is in a position of authority or trust. Friends or family members and people who are paid to support you (like support workers, case managers, social workers, doctors or nurses) are people who are in positions of trust.

It is abuse if that person misuses their power and does something to hurt you or something that has the potential to hurt you. People who are paid to help you (ex: all people working for Service Coordination) need to have a Criminal Records Check for the Vulnerable Sector completed by the police before they can work with you.

There are many different types of abuse. Here are some examples you should know about…

  • Physical Abuse:
    When someone hits, pushes, kicks or rough handles you, tips your wheelchair or uses an object or weapon to hurt you. This also includes the wrong use of your medication.
  • Emotional Abuse:
    When someone bullies you, creates fear or scares you, keeps you away from your friends and family or does not give you your privacy.
  • Verbal Abuse:
    When someone makes comments about your race or gender, threatens you or uses words that are abusive or offensive; this includes the use of swear words.
  • Sexual Abuse:
    When someone touches your body or body parts or forces you to do things of a sexual nature when you don’t want to. If you are forced to have sex with someone or if you are
    forced to watch pictures or videos of a sexual nature that make you feel uncomfortable.
  • Financial Abuse:
    When someone steals or takes your money by forcing or tricking you. When someone uses your money without asking you, forces you to sign documents to give your
    money away or steals or claims money that belongs to you.
  • Neglect :
    When your caregiver fails to provide you with the basic things that you need to live such as clothing, shelter, food, care or supervision.
  • Spiritual Abuse:
    When someone prevents you from practicing your religion, makes you participate in a religious activity, or tells you to believe in another faith or religion.


If you think you are being abused you need to contact the police. The number for the Ottawa Police is: 613-230-6211.

If you are a child under the age of 16, you need to call the Children’s Aid Society (CAS) at 613-747-7800.

If someone thinks you are being abused or you tell someone you are being abused they have a duty to report it to the CAS (if you are under the age of 16) or the police.
All information about your allegation of abuse will be kept confidential after the police have been notified. You can decide who else you want to tell after the police have talked to you.

All abuse must be reported to authorities.
Abuse is wrong and it hurts you.

After the police are called they will talk to you and ask you questions. If you want to have someone with you when the police talk to you, you can ask someone. The police want to make sure you are safe.
By reporting abuse you are keeping yourself and other people safe.


After reporting the abuse you can ask to talk to someone for support. Your support worker, case manager, social worker, teacher or doctor can help you find someone to talk to and help you understand the way you feel.


Is Service Coordination a crisis centre?
No. If you are in crisis, you should contact the appropriate direct service.
Here are the options;

  • Emergencies: 9-1-1 (life threatening event or crime in progress)
  • Ottawa Police: 613-230-6211 (other emergencies)
  • Children’s Aid Society: 613-747-7800 (mandated to protect children and youth from abuse and neglect)
  • Child, Youth and Family Crisis Line: 1-877-377-7775 (24 hour telephone service for children, youth and parents)
  • The Mental Health Crisis Line: 613-722-6914 or 1-866-996-0991 (first point of access / crisis team)
  • The Distress Center: 613-238-3311 (crisis intervention, information and referral)
  • City of Ottawa: 3-1-1 (Social and Community Support)


Any information about you is nobody else’s business. The only way we can share information about you is if you say “YES” we can tell somebody else.

There are some people who have access to your information who help you pay for the services you get in your home, school, day program or job. These people
are not allowed to share your information without your permission.

They must keep your information private.

If any of the people who are paid to help you, tell someone information about you without your permission, they can lose their job.

Service Coordination has rules that have to be followed to protect your private information. You have the right to ask your Service Coordination case worker
about this.


What is Service Coordination?
Service Coordination is a bilingual non-profit agency funded by the Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services. We serve adults and children with a developmental disability and children with autism spectrum disorder.

What programs and services do you offer?
Service Coordination offers services under 4 different programs:

  • Developmental Services Ontario Eastern Region (DSOER) – the central point of access and referral to funded developmental services for persons 18 years and up.
  • Case Management Services
    The case management team helps you and your family create a plan to meet your needs and find available opportunities, resources and services:
    • Children Services for (0 to 17 years of age)
    • Adult Services (18 years of age and up) – provides families and individuals with information and links to special needs workers or respite services.
    Residential and Community Services – monitors the quality of services people receive from private operators.

We will help guide you on your journey and help you plan and access available developmental services and supports in your community. For more information about these programs, please visit our website.

How do I access Adult services?
DSOER is the central point of access for Ministry funded adult developmental services and  supports in Eastern Ontario. Anyone 16 years of age and over seeking to register with DSOER may call 1-855-376-3737, email or visit the website at

Who manages the registry for funded residential, respite or community participation services for adults?
At this time, DSOER will assist adults who are on the registry waiting for supports and services. DSOER will also work with agencies in your community to prioritize referrals for developmental services and supports.

How can I find and hire a special needs worker?
The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services provides funding directly to families for respite and developmental programming. If you receive funding and/or want to hire a Special Needs Worker, contact (formerly known as Special Services Worker Bank). You can visit our website at or call the coordinator at 613 748 1788 x 240.

Does Service Coordination have funding for families?
No, however at times we are responsible for providing support through funding initiatives, provided by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services. An example of a funding initiative includes the Children’s Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) funding initiative.

General Information:

Tel: 613-748-1788
DSOER: 1-855-376-3737
TTY: 1-855-777-5787
150 Montreal Rd, Room 200
Ottawa, Ontario K1L 8H2